Tuesday, June 14, 2016

This Orlando Shooting Victim Played Dead To Survive The Assault

“I still can’t walk, but as long as I have a smile on my face, I’ll be OK.”

Angel Colon, who was shot during Sunday's assault at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, on Tuesday described the terrifying events after Omar Mateen open fire on the crowd.

Angel Colon, who was shot during Sunday's assault at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, on Tuesday described the terrifying events after Omar Mateen open fire on the crowd.

CBS / Via cbs12.com

"We were just having a great time, all having a drink together and dancing," Colon said of his night out with his friends Sunday. "It was a great night, no drama, just smiles and laughter."

Just as he was saying goodbye to his friends he heard gunshots ring out in the nightclub. "It just keeps going," Colon said at news conference at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Mateen — reportedly a frequent patron of Pulse nightclub himself — entered the club around 2 a.m. and opened fire on the crowd with a handgun and AR-15 style assault rifle, killing 49 and injuring 53.

Colon and his friends grabbed each other's hands and ran, he said, but Colon was shot in the leg three times and collapsed.

"I tried to get back up but everyone started running everywhere, I got trampled over and shattered the bones in my left leg as people ran over me," Colon said from a wheelchair.

"All I could hear was the shotgun over and over and people yelling for help."

As Colon lay on the ground, Mateen left the room and began shooting in other areas of the club, Colon said. He thought Mateen wasn't going to come back and that he was safe.

"I thought, 'That's it, I'm dead,'" he said. Mateen aimed for Colon's head but shot his hand and his hip. Colon said he remained still and played dead until Mateen turned his attention elsewhere.

Colon repeatedly thanked the hospital staff around him, telling them he loved them and "wouldn't be here without them."

Colon repeatedly thanked the hospital staff around him, telling them he loved them and "wouldn't be here without them."

CBS


View Entire List ›



from BuzzFeed - USNews http://ift.tt/1URESFe

No comments:

Post a Comment