Tuesday, April 19, 2016

New York Daily News Defends Shaun King Amid Plagiarism Accusations

Shaun King / Via Facebook: shaunking

The New York Daily News on Tuesday defended one of its most popular columnists from accusations of plagiarism, saying it had printed material from other outlets without attribution because of "editing errors."

In an editor's note posted to Twitter, the tabloid said that the attribution for two lengthy block quotes in articles by Shaun King were "mistakenly removed by no fault of the columnist."

The articles in question, both opinion pieces on criminal justice, were published on Tuesday and last week. One of the articles written by King included two paragraphs lifted verbatim fromThe Daily Beast, while the other included material from FiveThirtyEight.

The articles unleashed significant controversy after an editor at The Daily Beast took to Twitter to accuse King of plagiarism.

In an interview with BuzzFeed News, King strenuously denied the allegations, saying he had included proper attribution and used quotation marks to indicate that he was using another person's writing when he filed the copy to editors.

"I needed to talk about how Earl Williams was injured," King said, referring to the subject of one of his columns. "And Kate [Briquelet of The Daily Beast], in her piece, her two paragraphs were written so well, that I just thought, 'I’m just going to include them.' And I thought her piece was so good that I made sure I said, according to Kate Briquelet of The Daily Beast, and I linked to her piece."

King said he only found out about the allegations through Twitter.

"The tweet that said I had plagiarized the article had been out for a good 30 minutes before I saw it," King said. "And so when I saw it, my blood pressure and my frustration went through the roof. My first reaction was, why is this guy lying on me? There was not a word in the piece that I wrote today that was plagiarized. Then I went to my piece, and sure as shit, it doesn't say according to Kate Briquelet of The Daily Beast. I almost had an aneurysm."

King provided BuzzFeed News with what he said was the raw copy he filed to his editors via email. The timestamp on the messages suggests that they were sent before the articles went to press. The text of the emails includes attribution and quotation marks around the other writers' words.

Courtesy Shaun King

Courtesy Shaun King

King added that a team of six editors — including Jim Rich, the paper's editor in chief — review all of his articles before they are published. None of those editors responded to a request for comment from BuzzFeed News.

Noah Shachtman, the executive editor of The Daily Beast, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. FiveThirtyEight also did not respond to a request for comment.

"I don’t know how this happened," King said. "I love my editors, but this reveals that something is faulty with the editing process, and is something we are going to have to address."

LINK: Black Lives Matter Activist Accused Of Lying About His Race Explains His Personal History




from BuzzFeed - USNews http://ift.tt/1Ql8OHg

No comments:

Post a Comment